Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC)
Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) was introduced in the academic year 2006-2007 with the objective to make higher education in India accessible to the children of overseas Indians and promote India as a centre for higher studies.
Under the scheme, 100 PIO/NRI students are awarded scholarship for undergraduate courses in Engineering, Technology, Humanities, Liberal Arts, Commerce, Management, Journalism, Hotel Management, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and some other courses.
The SPDC Scheme was revamped and launched in July 2016. This time the number of scholarships has been enhanced from 100 to 150 with introduction of 50 scholarships for children of Indian Workers employed in ECR countries and also the Scheme is now applicable to PIO, NRI, Children of Indian workers working in ECR countries and Children of Indian workers in ECR countries – studying in India. For more details and information of how to apply for the scholarship, kindly see the guidelines and the List of countries given below:
Further modifications have been made in the existing SPDC Scheme as below:
- The NRI, PIO students who were admitted in India in 2015-16 batch are now eligible for scholarships under SPDC and will be governed byguidelines ofthe existing revamped Scheme 2016-17. Such students will be considered for scholarship from the current academic year(i.e. they will not receive scholarship amount for 2015-16). The amount of scholarship for this category of students shall be determined as applicable for 2ndyear students. Applications from such candidates should be submitted through SPDC Portalby 30 November 2016.
- The monthly income limit for PIOs and NRIs has beenraised toUS$ 4000 from existing US$ 2250.
- The candidates can now upload self-attested copies of all supporting documents except proof of Indian Origin. The proof of Indian Origin or undertaking about Indian Origin of applicants must be attested by Mission and submitted on SPDC portal.
- In addition to NITs, IIITs and SPAs covered under DASA Scheme, students admitted in other premier institutes covered under DASA shall also be eligible for scholarship under SPDC Scheme.
- Last date for submission of applications is extended to 30 November, 2016.